Subject: Hangul FAQ updates with new announcements

From: [email-masked] (Uhhyung Choi)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 92 2:16:18 KST

$)CSubject: Hangul FAQ update with some announcements
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 92 22:03:35 KST
Cc: hana-tech@kum, sdn-info@kum, [email-masked],
	salab@cosmos, sparcs@baram, hangul@baram, sg-inet@kum
Expires: Thu, 1 Oct 92
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Distribution: World
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3h1-2 PL11]

This is an update(very minor) to the Hangul FAQ with some information
on Hangul archive and mailing-list status.

cair.kaist.ac.kr has been down for about months, so I've made another
archive site and mailing list for Hangul information.

Archive: baram.kaist.ac.kr [143.248.1.51]

New Hangul archive is running experimental ftp daemon from wuarchive.wustl.edu
I've tried to collect all the softwares previously available from cair, but
it is not complete yet.

Mailing-list: [email-masked]

Please send your requests to [email-masked]
I don't have any backup data for previous hangul@cair mailing list.
hangul@cair will be merged into new info-hangul mailing list as soon as
the cair comes back.
There is also a mailing list for discussion of technical stuffs on Hangul.
hangul@baram is the mailing list for Hangul Working Group of SG-INET,
Korean Internet Engineering Committee. It's wide open to any volounteers
from the world. Requests on hangul@baram list should be directed to 
[email-masked]

Regards,
Uhhyung Choi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Hangul FAQ -- Last updated on 8/22/92
Distribution: World
X-Originator: [email-masked]

This article contains the contain the answers to some Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) often seen in hangul/htex mailing list. It is posted
to help reduce volume in these lists and to provide hard-to-find
information of general interest.

		Please redistribute this article!

* 1)  What kind of Hangul terminal emulators are avaiable?
  2)  How can I edit Hangul documents?
  3)  What are KSC-5601 and other Hangul codes?
* 4)  How can I exchange Hangul Mails?
* 5)  What is hlatex and how can I use it?
  6)  I'd like to install hlatex, but I don't have enough previlege.
  7)  Are there Hangul TeX packages running on Macintosh or IBM-PC?
  8)  Are there mailing lists for Hangul stuffs?
  9)  I've got a software "foo" from cair, but it doesn't work.
 10)  I've downloaded a Hangul terminal emulator and installed it, but
     I can't enter Hangul characters.
 11)  I have an ethernet card on my PC, and installed a Hangul
     emulator. But I still can't write and see Hangul characters.
 12)  I'm using stevie as my Hangul editor, but it leaves a garbage
     named "gmon.out". How can I remove it?

If you have suggestions or corrections for any of these answers or any
additional information, please send them directly to
[email-masked] the information will be included in the next
revision. Questions marked * are newly updated ones.

The information contained herein has been gathered from a variety of
sources.  In many cases attribution has been lost; if you would like
to claim responsibility for a particular item, please let us know.

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: 1) What kind of Hangul terminal emulators are avaiable?

    Hanterm is a terminal emulator running on X Window System, which
can be used to display and input Hangul. It uses KSC-5601 codeset. It
has been tested over following platforms.

    SunOS 4.1.1-KLE1.1 running X Window System Release 5
    OS/SMP 4.0D,OS/MP 4.0C running X Window System Release 4
    SunOS 4.1.1-KLE1.1 running OpenWindows 2.0.1
    SunOS 4.1.1-KLE1.1 running OpenWindows 3.0
    SunOS 4.1.1 running OpenWindows 3.0

There are two versions of hanterm, one that's written from the
scratch, and the other is based on xterm. hanterm.1.7.1 is the old
version and hanterm.2.2.1 is the new one based on xterm. Any questions
 on Hanterm should be directed to Song Jae-kyung at
[email-masked].

Another experimental hanterm implementation, hanterm3.0 is going
underway by Chang Hyeong-Kyu at [email-masked]. Currently
available is the alpha version and was written to support a 3-byte
Hangul code(Dictionary ordered), which can compose all possible Hangul
characters.

    IYAGI is a Hangul terminal emulator running on MS-DOS, which was
developed by Heaven Ox at Kyung-Buk Nat'l University. IYAGI supports
Hercules, EGA, and VGA graphic displays, mouse, adlib sound.  Heaven
Ox is not reachable through Internet yet.

    DANSI is a software Hangul emulatng hardware Hangul card. It runs
as fast as very nice hardware Hangul card. It was written by Ha
Hyung-jin at [email-masked] DANSI only supports VGA display
card.  Another software Hangul available is DKBY. DKBY supports 2-byte
Combinational code and DANSI supports almost all kinds of codes. I
could use Hangul in TELIX with DANSI on my PC compatible.
Documentations for DANSI can be found in dansidoc.zip. Note that they
are all saved in Sambo code, so you might want to make code
conversions. Please refer to the code section of this faq for more
about the code conversion.

    HEMUL is an emulator for n-byte code and ksc5601 code on the
opposite hangul. (quoted from the author's README) That's to say, you
can use KS environment with N-byte terminal, or vice versa. Send your
bur reports to Oh SungKyu at [email-masked].

    HSCREEN is the Hangul version of screen with embadded code
conversion capability. Screen is a utility for multi-screen support on
dummy terminals, so you won't need it if you have an access to X
window. It's written by the author of HEMUL.

[ All the softwares mentioned above can be found in
/pub/hangul/emulators directory of CAIR.KAIST.AC.KR [143.248.11.170] ]

Subject: 2) How can I edit Hangul documents?

    Nemacs is the Japanese Emacs, and you can use it to edit Hangul
documents.  Latest version of Nemacs is available at
UTSUN.S.U-TOKYO.AC.JP [133.11.11.11]. And you must give patches to the
Nemacs to use Hangul. A patch to the Nemacs 3.3 is available at
/pub/hangul/emulators. But I guess this will be moved to editors
directory, where it should reside in. :)

Mule is a Multilingual Extension to the GNU Emacs. It's in its beta
status and will be released soon. Explorers can get the beta from
etlport.etl.go.jp.

    Stevie is a vi clone, and there is Japanese stevie named Jstevie.
You can edit hangul documents on Hanterm with Jstevie. You should
compile it after hacking a couple of lines of Makefile. Please set the
code you use to EUC codeset in the Makefile.

    IYAGI [See Subject 1], has its own built-in editor and it's fairly
nice.  And VADA is a word processor running on MS-DOS supporing the
same devices as IYAGI. It was also developed by Heaven Ox.

[ note: almost all the softwares from Heaven Ox. only deals with
Trigem code.  So you'll have to make code conversions manually. Please
check first if it can be configured to handle your local code.]

    On systems running SunOS/KLE, you can use 8-bit clean vi for
hangul editing.  Set your environment variable LANG as korean. Then
you can edit hangul documents with vi or other text editors.

    KED is a hangul editor running on X-window. It's so premitive
editor and use N-byte code. So I don't recommand you to use it. (Needs
C++ compiler)
v
[ All the softwares mentioned above can be found in
/pub/hangul/editors otherwise seperately noticed. ]

 Subject: 3) What are KSC-5601 and other Hangul codes?

    There are two major Hangul codes. One is KSC-5601 and the other is
2-byte Combinational code. KSC-5601 is a national standard but many people
prefer the latter. And one minor code is N-byte code. KED use that code but
it's diminishing.

There are two newly introduced codes, one is ISO-2022 encoded code
used in exchanging mails and the other is 3-byte or dictionary order
Hangul code. The specs for the two codes can be obtained from Uhhyung
Choi at [email-masked] and Chang Hyeong-Kyu at
[email-masked].

   HCODE is a Hangul code conversion program written by June-Yub Lee
at [email-masked]. It can handle with ISO-2022 encoded code,
KSC-5601, Sambo(Trigem) Johab, and Romanized KS.

   CHAMEL is a code converter for IBM-PC, and it can convert files
between Johab and KS codes. It's author is not reachable from
Internet.

[ Author's note : I wonder if the two converters supporting
romanized Hangul use standard romanization method. Recently, the
unified standard for Hangul romanization has been made by South and
North Korea ]

[ Softwares above can be found in /pub/hangul/codeconv ]

Subject: 4) How can I exchange Hangul Mails?

    It's been half a year since Hangul E-mails become widespread.
I've suggested a ISO-2022 conformant encoding method, and made a pilot
implementation for elm. It can be found in /pub/hangul/hmail.

The code used in Hangul mailing is called "ISO-2022-KR" tentatively. 
[ I'm trying to make the encoding as Korean Internet standard.]
So, you have to convert your local code to ISO-2022
before you send it and convert back to your local code to read it.
I've written programs named "iso2ks" and "ks2iso" in the hmail
distribution. I have a plan to work on Hangul sendmail which
automatically handles code conversion and header extension.

More documentation on Hangul mail and its encoding, header extension
can be found at the same directory soon, or you can personally contact
me.

Subject: 5) What is hlatex and how can I use it?

    hlatex is a software package which enables the use of Hangul in
[La]TeX.  It consists of a preprocessing module and a script and some
latex macros.  It was written by Uhhyung Choi at [email-masked],
Baek Yun-ju at [email-masked], and Lee Sang-hoon at
[email-masked] hlatex is available at CAIR.KAIST.AC.KR
[143.248.11.170].

    Fonts are not part of hlatex distribution. It's property of
Mathematics Research Center at Korea Advanced Institute of Science and
Technology.  You can use it at overseas sites but you should not
redistribute it to Korean sites outside KAIST. Please do not send
blames to me. I've placed the first release of Hangul metafont source at
baram.kaist.ac.kr.

Subject: 6) I'd like to install hlatex, but I don't have enough
previlege.

    You can set environment variables so that your tex compiler will
be able to find the hlatex files in your library path.

    setenv PATH       <<your htex bin dir>>:$PATH
    setenv TEXFONTS   <<your htex pk dir>>:<<your latex tfmdir>>:$TEXFONTS
    setenv TEXINPUTS  <<your htex input dir>>:$TEXINPUTS
    setenv TEXFORMATS <<your htex format dir>>:$TEXFORMATS
    setenv XDVIFONTS  <<your htex/pk dir>>:$XDVIFONTS # for XDVI
    setenv TEXPKS     $XDVIFONTS                       # for DVIPS 
    # Contributions from "Sang K. Cha" <[email-masked]>
    
    Some TeX previewers or drivers does not allow user fonts which are
not placed at system TeX font path. I use xdvi and dvips and they
allow me to define my local font paths.

    hlatex script has some variables such as LATEX and HTEX.  You
should change that variables to fit your local environment.

Subject: 7) Are there Hangul TeX packages running on Macintosh or
IBM-PC?

    There is a version of Hangul LaTeX for PC running with emTeX.  You
can find it in /pub/hangul/HLaTeX directory. You must have a
pkunzip.exe (1.93Alpha or higher, which can be found in the same
directory) to extract hlatex1.zip and hlatex2.zip. Please read
readme.1st to find more information.

    There is commertial version of Hangul TeX running on Macintosh.  I
don't know much about it in detail, but you can contact Prof. Ko
Ki-hyung at [email-masked] to ask detailed questions.

Subject: 8) Are there mailing lists for Hangul stuffs?

    Yes. There are two mailing lists, as I know of, concering Hangul.
One is [email-masked] at which you can find information on
general hangul stuffs. You can join the lists my sending a short
request to [email-masked]. [ htex mailing list has
been removed some a week ago ]

Subject: 9) I've got a software "foo" from cair, but it doesn't work.

    First, check if you retrieved it with binary mode enabled. If not,
you must have probably got a corrupted file.

Subject: 10) I've downloaded a Hangul terminal emulator and installed
it, but I can't enter Hangul characters.

    Please check if you have a 8-bit clean tty. On BSD compatible
systems "stty cs8" will do, and on SunOS4.X try executing "stty
pass8".

Subject: 11) I have an ethernet card on my PC, and installed a Hangul
emulator. But I still can't write and see Hangul characters.

    You missed a point, check out your vitrual terminal software if it
can support "transparent" environment. That's to say, your network
software should support 8-bit clean connection. If it doesn't, you'll
have to change your software to the patched version of NCSA telnet or
KERMIT 3.1. The patched version of NCSA telnet is available from Yunju
Baek at [email-masked]

Subject: 12) I'm using stevie as my Hangul editor, but it leaves a
garbage named "gmon.out". How can I remove it?

    Easy. There are two solutions, one requires reinstallation of
stevie and the other is just setting one more environment variable.

The makefile of stevie has a C compiler flag "-pg", it makes steive
always leave a "gmon.out" in your current working directory. Simplely
removing the flag and recompiling it will fix the problem.

Another one is to set your environment variable PROFDIR as null.
Stevie will get the PROFDIR variable and try to make gmon.out there.
But it finds a null entry and fails to create one.

Last updated on 1992.8.22 by [email-masked].
--
             .-.  
      .-.   ((@))      Uhhyung Choi
     ((@))  /`.-.      Department of Computer Science 
    .-.\   /  `-'      Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
   ((@))\ /<Z>         Taejon, 305-701, Republic of Korea
    `-'  Y             Email: [email-masked]
         |<Z>          Phone: +82-42-869-3554
         |       	

-- 
              .-.  
       .-.   ((@))        
      ((@))  /`.-.        4k@|AwGR=C @/<:18 18<:5? 373-1 
     .-.\   /  `-'        GQ190zGP1b<z?x @|;jGP0z =C=:E[18A6?,18=G
    ((@))\ /<Z>           CV?lG| (Uhhyung Choi)
     `-'  Y               @|@Z?lFm: [email-masked]
          |<Z>            @|H-: (042) 869-3554, (042) 868-4409
          |       	

-- 
              .-.  
       .-.   ((@))        
      ((@))  /`.-.        (C4k@|AwGR=C(B (C@/<:18(B (C18<:5?(B 373-1
     .-.\   /  `-'        (CGQ190zGP1b<z?x(B (C@|;jGP0z(B (C=C=:E[18A6?,18=G(B
    ((@))\ /<Z>           (CCV?lG|(B (Uhhyung Choi)
     `-'  Y               (C@|@Z?lFm(B: [email-masked]
          |<Z>            (C@|H-(B: (042) 869-3554, (042) 868-4409
          |