Subject: Majordomo Frequently Asked Questions

From: [email-masked] (Dave Barr)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 15:03:08 GMT

Version: $Id: majordomo-faq.html,v 1.45 1995/03/23 15:50:39 barr Exp barr $
Archive-Name: mail/list-admin/majordomo-faq
Posting-Frequency: monthly

   Table of Contents:
    1. What is Majordomo and how can I get it?
          + What is Majordomo?
          + Where do I get it?
          + How do I install it?
          + How do I upgrade from an earlier release?
          + Where do I report bugs or get help with Majordomo?
          + Which is better, Majordomo or LISTSERV?
    2. Problems setting up Majordomo
          + What are the proper permissions and ownership of all
            Majordomo files and directories?
          + I get "Unknown mailer error" when majordomo runs
          + I get "Permission denied at ..." when majordomo runs
          + I get "shlock: open(">/some/path/...") when majordomo runs
          + A file is visible via index, but can't 'get' it
          + Majordomo seems to be taking many minutes to process commands
          + I get an error "insecure usage" from the wrapper
          + I get "majordomo: No such file or directory" from the wrapper
          + I get an error "Can't locate majordomo.pl"
          + I told my majordomo.cf where to archive the list, why isn't
            it working?
          + I'm accumulating lots of files called /tmp/resend.*.in and
            .out,
          + A list is visible via lists, but can't subscribe or 'get'
            files
          + I get "Out of Memory" when upgrading to 1.93
          + I get warnings or errors when trying to compile 1.93's
            wrapper
          + Problems with 1.93's request-answer
    3. Setting up mailing lists and aliases
          + How do I direct bounces to the right address?
          + Semi-automated handling of bounced mail
          + What's this Owner-List and List-Owner stuff? Why both?
          + How should I configure resend for Reply-To headers?
          + How can I hide lists so they can't be viewed by 'lists'?
          + How can I restrict a list such that only subscribers can send
            mail to the list?
          + Can I have the list owner or approval person be changeable
            without intervention from the Majordomo owner?
          + What about all of these passwords starting in version 1.90?
          + How do I tell majordomo to handle "get"-ing of binary files?
          + How do I set up a moderated list?
          + How do I set up a digested version of a list?
    4. Miscellaneous mailer and other problems
          + Address with blanks are being treated separately
          + Why aren't my digests going out?
          + Why do I get duplicate mail sent to the list?
          + How do I gate my list to and/or from a newsgroup?
            
   This FAQ is Copyright 1994 by David Barr and The Pennsylvania State
   University. This document may be reproduced, so long as it is kept in
   its entirety and in its original format.
   
   Credits:
   This FAQ originally written by Vincent D. Skahan. Many thanks to the
   members of the majordomo-workers and majordomo-users mailing lists for
   many of the questions and answers found in this FAQ. Thanks to
   [email-masked] (Fen Labalme) for getting an HTML version started.
   
   You can get an HTML version of this FAQ on the World Wide Web at
   http://www.math.psu.edu/barr/majordomo-faq.html. If you have any
   questions or submissions regarding this FAQ, send them to
   [email-masked] (David Barr).

     _________________________________________________________________

Section 1: What is Majordomo and how can I get it?

  WHAT IS MAJORDOMO?
  
   Majordomo is a program which automates the management of Internet
   mailing lists. Commands are sent to Majordomo via electronic mail to
   handle all aspects of list maintainance. Once a list is set up,
   virtually all operations can be performed remotely, requiring no
   intervention upon the postmaster of the list site.
   
     majordomo - n: a person who speaks, makes arrangements, or takes
     charge for another. From latin "major domus" - "master of the
     house". 
     
   Majordomo is written in Perl (at least 4.035, preferably 4.036). It is
   also known to work under Perl 5, if you edit majordomo and resend and
   look for instances of the "@" character inside text strings "@" Change
   the "@" to "\@". This only happened with recent versions of Perl 5.
   The same fix is also required if you want to run Majordomo under OSF/1
   on the DEC AXP systems with Perl 4 or 5. [from Jim Reisert]
   
   Majordomo controls a list of addresses for some mail transport system
   (like sendmail or smail) to handle. Majordomo itself performs no mail
   delivery (though it has scripts to format and archive messages).
   
   Here's a short list of some of the features of Majordomo.
   
     * supports various types of lists, including moderated ones.
     * List options can be set easily through a configuration file,
       editable remotely.
     * Supports archival and remote retrieval of messages.
     * Supports digests.
     * Written in Perl, - easily customizable and expandable.
     * Modular in design.
     * Includes support for FTPMAIL.

  WHERE DO I GET IT?

   Via anonymous FTP at:
   
   ftp://ftp.greatcircle.com/pub/majordomo/
   
   If you don't have Perl, you can get it from:
   
   ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/perl-4.036.tar.gz
   
   The FTPMAIL package can be found in
   ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/ftpmail or any comp.sources.misc
   archive (volume 37).

  HOW DO I INSTALL IT?
  
   Majordomo comes with a rather extensive README. Read this file
   completely. This FAQ is meant to be a supplement to Majordomo's
   documentation, not a replacement for it. If you have any questions
   that this FAQ doesn't cover, chances are that it is covered in the
   README or other documentation in the Majordomo distribution.

  HOW DO I UPGRADE FROM AN EARLIER RELEASE?
  
   Be sure to browse the "Changes" and "Changelog" files to get an idea
   what has changed. There currently is no canned set of instructions for
   upgrading from an earlier release. The most straightforward method is
   to simply install the current release in a different directory, (with
   the same list/archive/digest directories) and change the mail aliases
   for each list to use the new Majordomo scripts as soon as you feel
   comfortable with the new setup.

  WHERE DO I REPORT BUGS OR GET HELP WITH MAJORDOMO?
  
   If you need help, there is a mailing list
   [email-masked], which is frequented by lots of users
   of Majordomo. Please don't send questions to me. Report bugs to
   [email-masked]. Be sure always to include which
   version of Majordomo you are using. You should also include what
   operating system you are using, what version of Perl, and what mailer
   (sendmail, smail, etc) and version you are using, especially if you
   can't get Majordomo to work at all. But first, you must have
   thoroughly read the documentation to Majordomo and this FAQ.

  WHICH IS BETTER, MAJORDOMO OR LISTSERV?
  
   For a good comparison of various mailing list managers (MLM's)
   there's a good review by Norm Aleks. It is posted monthly to
   news.answers and comp.mail.list-admin.software. Contact
   [email-masked] (Norm Aleks) for more information. 
   
Section 2: Problems setting up Majordomo

  WHAT ARE THE PROPER PERMISSIONS AND OWNERSHIP OF ALL MAJORDOMO FILES AND
  DIRECTORIES?
  
   By far the biggest problem in setting up Majordomo is getting all the
   permissions and ownerships right. In part this is due to the security
   model that Majordomo uses, and it's also due to the fact that it's
   hard to automate this process. That's due to improve in future
   releases.
   
   Majordomo works by using a small C "wrapper" which works by allowing
   Majordomo to always run as the "majordom" user and group that you
   create. (note that the wrapper may disappear in a future release,
   since its function could safely be replaced by features found in Perl
   5) Because Majordomo does not run with any "special" priviliges, and
   because of the fact that Majordomo does a lot of .lock-style locking
   (with shlock.pl), permissions on all files and directories are
   critical to the correct operation of Majordomo.
   
    The wrapper
    
   The wrapper is compiled in one of two ways, by uncommenting the
   correct section for your type of system. If you are unsure if your
   system is POSIX or not, I would suggest you assume that your system is
   not. If things don't work right, then try POSIX.

   If you are on a non-POSIX system, the wrapper must be both suid and
   sgid (mode 6755) to whatever you defined your majordomo user and group
   to be. It must not be setuid root!
   
   OR
   
   On a POSIX system the wrapper must be setuid root, and double-check
   that W_UID and W_GID are the uid and gid of the majordomo user and
   group. Don't set W_UID to be 0!
   
   Then compile the wrapper and install it. Do not install the wrapper on
   an NFS filesystem with the "nosuid" option set. This will prevent the
   wrapper from working.
   
    Majordomo files
    
   All files that majordomo creates will be mode 660, user "majordomo",
   group "majordomo" if it is running correctly. The Log file that
   majordomo writes logging information to must have this same permission
   and ownership. Make sure any files you create by hand (.config,
   subscription lists) have this same permission and ownership. (the can
   also be mode 664 if you don't need the contents to be private to
   others) The permissions/ownership of the Majordomo programs and
   related files themselves aren't as crititcal, but the must all be
   readable to the majordomo user/group. All Majordomo programs
   (majordomo, resend, etc.) must have the execute bit set.
   
    Majordomo directories
    
   All directories under Majordomo's control ($homedir, $listdir,
   $digest_work_dir, $filedir, as defined in your majordomo.cf) must be
   mode 770 (or 775). They should be user and group owned by "majordom".
   If want to allow a local user to be able to directly modify files or
   for example copy files into a list's archive directory, you may make
   the directory or file owned by that user. However directories and
   files must be group-"majordom" writeable. 
   
  I GET "UNKNOWN MAILER ERROR" WHEN MAJORDOMO RUNS
  
   If something is wrong with your setup, the wrapper will often exit
   with various return codes depending on what the problem is. In order
   to really understand what is going on, look at the session transcript
   further down in the bounce message to see the error which is returned
   from the wrapper or from Majordomo. You should always see some sort of
   error message.
   
   For information purposes, here are the current return codes from the
   wrapper:
     * 1: Usage error
     * 2: Insecure usage (argument to wrapper can't contain a '/')
     * 3: malloc() failed (out of memory)
     * 4: set[ug]id() failed, compile with POSIX instead of BSD flags
     * 5: execve() failed
     * >5: return code from perl

  I GET "PERMISSION DENIED AT ..." WHEN MAJORDOMO RUNS
  
  I GET "SHLOCK: OPEN(">/SOME/PATH/..." WHEN MAJORDOMO RUNS
  
  A FILE IS VISIBLE VIA INDEX, BUT CAN'T 'GET' IT
  
  MAJORDOMO SEEMS TO BE TAKING MANY MINUTES TO PROCESS COMMANDS
  
   These are all symptoms of a permission or ownership problem. See the
   previous question. The directory specified of any "shlock" errors
   indicates a problem with that directory. A "get" problem means the
   ownership or permission of archive directory for that list is wrong. 
   
  I GET AN ERROR "INSECURE USAGE" FROM THE WRAPPER
  
   The argument to ".../wrapper" should be simply "majordomo", not The
   full path to majordomo or resend. "wrapper" has where to look compiled
   in to it (the "W_BIN" setting in the Makefile) for security reasons,
   and will not let you specify another directory.
   
   Your alias should say:

    |"/path/to/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"

  I GET "MAJORDOMO: NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY" FROM THE WRAPPER
  
   Make sure that the #! statement at the beginning of all the Majordomo
   Perl executables contain the correct path to the perl program. (the
   default is /usr/local/bin/perl) Make sure also that majordomo and all
   the related scripts are in the W_BIN directory as defined in the
   Makefile when you compiled the wrapper.

  I GET AN ERROR "CAN'T LOCATE MAJORDOMO.PL"
  
   [from Brent Chapman]
   Majordomo adds "$homedir" from the majordomo.cf file to the @INC array
   before it goes looking for "majordomo.pl". Since it's not finding it,
   I'd guess you have one of two problems:
   
   1) $homedir is set improperly (or not set at all; there is no default)
   in your majordomo.cf file.
   
   2) majordomo.pl is not in $homedir, or is not readable.
   
   [from John P. Rouillard]
   3) Note that the new majordomo.cf file checks to see if the
   environment variable $HOME is set first, and uses that for $homedir.
   Since the wrapper always sets HOME to the correct directory, you get a
   nice default, unless you are running a previously built wrapper, in
   which case you may get the wrong directory.
   
   [from Andreas Fenner]
   4) I had the same problem when I installed majordomo (1.62). My
   Problem was a missing ";" in the majordomo.cf file - just in the line
   before setting homedir .... My hint for you: Check your perl-files
   carefully.

  I TOLD MY MAJORDOMO.CF WHERE TO ARCHIVE THE LIST, WHY ISN'T IT WORKING?
  
   [From John Rouillard]
   The archive variables in majordomo.cf aren't used to archive anything.
   You have to use a separate archive program, or a sendmail alias to do
   the archiving. The info is used to generate a directory where the
   archive files are being placed by some other mechanism.
   
   You are telling majordomo to look in the directory:

    /usr/local/mail/majordomo/archive/

   for files that it should allow to be gotten using the get command.
   
   Majordomo comes with three different archive programs that run under
   wrapper, that do various types of archiving. Look in the contrib
   directory.

  I'M ACCUMULATING LOTS OF FILES CALLED /TMP/RESEND.*.IN AND .OUT WHAT ARE
  THESE AND HOW CAN I GET RID OF THEM?
  
   This is a known bug in Majordomo 1.92. There was a typo in resend on
   line 347. Change the double-quotes to angle-brackets. (just like the
   other calls to unlink())

  A LIST IS VISIBLE VIA LISTS, BUT CAN'T SUBSCRIBE OR 'GET' FILES
  
   [From Brent Chapman]
   I'll bet your list name has capital letters in it... Majordomo smashes
   all list names to all-lower-case before attempting to use the list
   name as part of a filename. So, while it's OK to advertise (for
   instance) "Majordomo-Users" and have the headers say
   "Majordomo-Users", the files and archive directory all need to be
   "majordomo-users*".

  I GET "OUT OF MEMORY" WHEN UPGRADING TO 1.93
  
   [summary of report from Matthew A. Braithwaite]
   There appears to be a bug in error reporting in Majordomo 1.93. Under
   certain circumstanses, if the directory containing your Log file is
   not writeable by majordomo then it will get caught in an infinite
   recursion, eventually allocating all the memory in the system. The fix
   is to make sure that the directory containing your Log file is user
   and group writeable, and user and group owned by your majordomo user
   and group.

  I GET WARNINGS OR ERRORS WHEN TRYING TO COMPILE 1.93'S WRAPPER
  
   You're probably trying to compile the wrapper using the default
   Makefile on a non-POSIX system (like SunOS 4.x). As it says in the
   Makefile, SunOS isn't POSIX -- you need to use the BSD rules.
   
   If you're having trouble compiling the wrapper under AIX, change the
   line that says:

char setgroups_used = "setgroups_was_included"; /* give strings a hint */

   to

char *setgroups_used = "setgroups_was_included"; /* give strings a hint */

   The wrapper compilation may generate warnings under Linux and SunOS,
   which you can safely ignore.

  PROBLEMS WITH 1.93'S REQUEST-ANSWER
  
   [ Summary by Yusef Pisan ]
   There are a couple known bugs in request-answer. If you get the error
   'Undefined subroutine "mail'lopen"', you need to insert the line
   'require "shlock.pl";' near the beginning of request-answer. The
   syntax of the 'do_exec_sendmail' function is different in majordomo
   than in majordomo.pl, so you need to change all occurences of
   'do_exec_sendmail' in request-answer to something like
   'do_exec_sendmail_in_request_answer'.
     _________________________________________________________________

Section 3: Setting up mailing lists and aliases

  HOW DO I DIRECT BOUNCES TO THE RIGHT ADDRESS?
  
   This was somewhat of a RTFM question. The answer is to use 'resend'
   to your advantage. The following is an example of a sendmail alias
   that I was using:

   sample: :include:/usr/local/mail/lists/sample

   Whereas this example (from the 'sample.aliases' file distributed with
   Majordomo) fixes the problem.

   sample: "|/usr/local/mail/majordomo/wrapper resend -p bulk -M 10000
           -l Sample -f Owner-Sample -h GreatCircle.COM -s
           sample-outgoing"
   sample-outgoing: :include:/usr/local/mail/lists/sample
   owner-sample: joe

   See the 'resend.README' file for more info on resend's options.
   
   What this does is force outgoing mail to have the out-of-band envelope
   FROM be "[email-masked]", and thus all bounces will be
   redirected to that address. (Users often see this mirrored in the
   message body as the "From " or "Return-Path:" header). 'resend' also
   inserts a "Sender:" line with the same address to help people identify
   where it came from, but that header is not used for the bounce
   address.
   
   If you are using sendmail v8.x, you don't have to use 'resend' to do
   the same thing. You simply have to define an alias like this:

owner-sample: joe,

   Note the trailing comma is necessary to prevent sendmail from
   resolving the alias first before putting it in the header. Without the
   comma, it will put "joe" in the envelope from instead of
   "owner-sample". Either address will work, of course, but the generic
   address is preferred should the owner ever change.

  SEMI-AUTOMATED HANDLING OF BOUNCED MAIL
  
   [From John Rouillard]
   Just create a mailing list called "bounces". I usually set mine up as
   an auto list just to make life easier.
   
   All that "bounce" script does is create an email message to majordomo
   that says:

   approve [passwd] unsubscribe [listname] [address]
   approve [passwd] subscribe bounces [address]

   The [address] and [listname], are given on the command line to bounce.
   The address of the majordomo, and the passwords are retrieved from the
   .majordomo file in your home directory.
   
   A sample .majordomo file might look like (shamelessly stolen from the
   comments at the top of the bounce script):

   this-list       passwd1         [email-masked]
   other-list      passwd2         [email-masked]
   bounces         passwd3         [email-masked]
   bounces         passwd4         [email-masked]

   A command of "bounce this-list [email-masked]" will mail the following
   message to [email-masked]:

   approve passwd1 unsubscribe this-list [email-masked]
   approve passwd3 subscribe bounces [email-masked] (930401 this-list)

   while a command of "bounce other-list [email-masked]" will mail the
   following message to [email-masked]:

   approve passwd2 unsubscribe other-list [email-masked]
   approve passwd4 subscribe bounces [email-masked] (930401 this-list)

   Note that the date and the list the user was bounced from are included
   as a comment in the address used for the "subscribe bounces" command.

  WHAT'S THIS OWNER-LIST AND LIST-OWNER STUFF? WHY BOTH?
  
   [From David Barr]
   The "standard" is spelled out in RFC 1211 - "Problems with the
   Maintenance of Large Mailing Lists".
   
   It's here where the "owner-listname" and "listname-request" concepts
   got their start. (well it was before this, but this is where it was
   first spelled out)
   
   Personally, I don't use "listname-owner" anywhere. You don't really
   have to put both, since the "owner" alias is usually only for bounces,
   which you add automatically anyway with resend's "-f" flag, or having
   Sendmail v8.x's "owner-listname" alias.
   
   (while I'm on the subject) The "-approval" is a Majordomo-ism, and is
   only necessary if you want bounces and approval notices to go to
   different mailboxes. (though you'll have to edit some code in
   majordomo and request-answer if you want to get rid of the -approval
   alias, since it's currently hardwired in)
   
   So, to answer your question, I'd say "no". You don't have to have
   both. You should just have "owner-list".

  HOW SHOULD I CONFIGURE RESEND FOR REPLY-TO HEADERS?
  
   Whether you should have a "Reply-To:" or not depends on the charter
   of your list and the nature of its users. If the list is a discussion
   list and you generally want replies to go back to the list, you can
   include one. Some people don't like being told what to do, and prefer
   to be able to choose whether to send a private reply or a reply to the
   list just by using the right function on their mail agent. Take note
   that if you do use a "Reply-To:", then some mail agents make it much
   harder for a person on the list to send a private reply.
   
   If you are using resend, use the '-r ' flag to set the Reply-To field
   to the list, or use the 'reply_to' config keyword for 1.9x or greater.

   
  HOW CAN I HIDE LISTS SO THEY CAN'T BE VIEWED BY 'LISTS'?
  
   That is what advertise and noadvertise are for. The two keywords take
   regular expressions that are matched against the from address of the
   sender. A list display follows the rules:
   
    1. If the from address is on the list, it is shown.
    2. If the from address matches a regexp in noadvertise (e.g. /.*/)
       the list is not shown.
    3. If the advertise list is empty, the list is shown unless 2
       applies.
    4. If the advertise list is non-empty, the from address must match an
       address in advertise. Otherwise the list is not shown. Rule 2
       applies, so you could allow all hosts in umb.edu except hosts in
       cs.umb.edu.

  HOW CAN I RESTRICT A LIST SUCH THAT ONLY SUBSCRIBERS CAN SEND MAIL TO THE
  LIST?
  
   For pre-1.9x versions of majordomo, see the -I option to resend. For
   1.9x this is the restrict_post keyword in the config file. Just set it
   to the filename that holds the list of subscribers. Unfortunately this
   means you probably will need help from the Majordomo maintainer in
   setting it if you don't have access to the host machine. This is due
   to be improved in a future release of Majordomo.
   
   However, there is a problem with either of these methods. Majordomo
   works by filtering the messages coming in through the "listname"
   alias, doing its dirty work, then passing the resulting message out to
   another alias you define like "listname-outgoing". If you trust people
   to not send mail directly to the "listname-outgoing" alias, then
   you'll be fine. If however you're not trusting, there are several
   steps to make sure people don't bypass the restrictions of the list.
   
   There are several methods. First you need to change your
   "listname-outgoing" alias such that it is not obvious. Next, you need
   to make it such that people can't find out what your -outgoing alias
   is.
   
   You can use the "@filename" directive in resend to move the
   command-line options of resend into a file readable only by the
   majordomo user/group. This will make it such that you can't find out
   the -outgoing address by connecting to your mailer and doing an EXPN
   or VRFY, or even locally by looking at the aliases file or NIS map.
   The "@filename" directive seems to have fallen into undocumentation
   for some reason. This should be fixed in future releases.
   
   Another more direct approach is to simply disable EXPN or VRFY
   altogether. See the documentation for your mailer on how to do this.
   
   Sendmail 8.x will unfortunately log your -outgoing alias in the
   "Received:" lines. To get around this you need to specify more than
   one address for the list name argument to resend. The easiest way is
   to simply put a comma after your -outgoing address. (for example
   'mylist-seekrit,' or perhaps 'mylist-seekrit,/dev/null'.) For Sendmail
   8.x you must not define an alias 'owner-mylist-seekrit' to be
   something like 'owner-mylist,' (with the commma). Otherwise sendmail
   will set the envelope address of outgoing mail to contain your secret
   outgoing alias.
   
   Finally it should be noted that it is impossible with any method to
   prevent people from forging mail as someone on the list, and sending
   to the list that way.

  CAN I HAVE THE LIST OWNER OR APPROVAL PERSON BE CHANGEABLE WITHOUT
  INTERVENTION FROM THE MAJORDOMO OWNER?
  
   Sure! Just make owner-listname and/or listname-approval be another
   majordomo list. (probably hidden, for simplicity's sake)

  WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THESE PASSWORDS STARTING IN VERSION 1.90?
  
   Think of three separate passwords:
    1. A master password that can be used by both resend and majordomo
       contained in [listname].passwd. To be used by the master list
       manager when using writeconfig commands etc. This allows someone
       who handles a number of mailing lists all using the same password.
    2. A password for the manager of this one list. The admin_passwd can
       be used by subsidiary majordomo list maintainers.
    3. A password for those concerned with the list content
       (approve_passwd)
       
   This way the administration and moderation functions can be split. The
   original reason for maintaining [listname].passwd was to allow a new
   config file to be put in if the config file was trashed and the
   admin_password was obliterated, and may still be useful to allow a
   single password to be used for admin functions by the majordomo admin
   or some other "superadmin".
   
   Note that the admin passwd in the config file is not a file name, but
   the password itself. This is the only way that the list-maintainer
   could change the password since they wouldn't have access to the file.

   
  HOW DO I TELL MAJORDOMO TO HANDLE "GET"-ING OF BINARY FILES?
  
   Majordomo is not designed to be a general-purpose file-by-mail
   system. If you want to do anything more than trivial "get"-ing of text
   files (archives, etc) than you should get and install ftpmail.
   Majordomo has hooks to allow transparent access to files via ftpmail
   (see majordomo.cf).

  HOW DO I SET UP A MODERATED LIST?
  
   First, you need to tell Majordomo that the list is moderated. In the
   configuration file for the list, you set "moderated = yes". If you're
   using Majordomo 1.9x or greater, do not try to use the now-deprecated
   "-A" option to resend. In fact if you're using 1.9x or greater, you
   shouldn't be using ANY options to resend except "-h" and "-l".
   
   Any mail which is not "approved", gets bounced with "Approval
   required". If the moderator wishes to approve the message for the
   list, then you need to tag the message as "approved" and send it to
   the list. The "approve" script which comes with Majordomo does this
   for you. If you don't have access to "approve" (e.g. you're not on a
   UNIX system with Perl), you have to do it by hand. The easiest way is
   to re-mail the original message to the list, except by adding the line
   "Approved: approval-password" to the very first line of the body. 
   
  HOW DO I SET UP A DIGESTED VERSION OF A LIST?
  
   [ Modified from explanation given by [email-masked] (Jonathan
   M. Bresler)]
     * Create aliases for the mailing list and the digest. See section
       2.2 of the README for an example.
     * create an alias for the majordom(o) user, so that his cron
       generated mail comes to me, rather than just piling up in
       /usr/local/mail/majordom.
     * create the list's and the digest's files, (widget, widget-digest,
       widget.config, widget-digest.config, etc.). Edit the
       widget-digest.config file and make sure all the digest options are
       set to your tastes.
     * create the digest directory and archive directory. See FAQ section
       2 on how to set permissions on all majordomo files and
       directories. You must have archives if you have digests so the
       digester can make the digest. You can purge the archive after the
       digest is generated.
     * Add yourself to both the mailing list and its digest so you can
       monitor what happens...at least for a while (not a bad idea to
       create a dummy user, and subscribe him to both the mailing list
       and its digest. This preserves a record of messages for debugging.
       Don't forget to remove this account and unsubscribe it after
       debugging.)
     * Optionally you may add a crontab for majrodom, to push out a
       digest at set intervals regardless of the number of queued
       messages. Of course you can do this from any account not just
       majordom, as long as the password is correct. See the question Why
       aren't my digests going out?".

     _________________________________________________________________

Section 4: Miscellaneous mailer problems

  ADDRESS WITH BLANKS ARE BEING TREATED SEPARATELY
  
   If a subscriber to the list is
   John Doe <[email-masked]>
   
    it gets treated these as the three addresses:
   John
   Doe
   <[email-masked]>
   
   [From Alan Millar]
   Majordomo does not treat these as three addresses. Apparently your
   mailer does.
   
   Remember that all Majordomo does is add and remove addresses from a
   list. Majordomo does not interpret the contents of the list for
   message distribution; the system mailer (such as sendmail) does.
   
   I'm using SMail3 instead of sendmail, and it has an alternative (read
   "stupid") view of how mixed angle-bracketed and non-angle-bracketed
   addresses should be interpreted. I found that putting a comma at the
   end of each line was effective to fix the problem, and I got to keep
   my comments. So I patched Majordomo to add the comment at the end of
   each address it writes to the list file.
   
   You can also add the $listname.strip option so that none of the
   addresses are angle-bracketed. (the "strip" config option for 1.90)

  WHY AREN'T MY DIGESTS GOING OUT?

>I'm not sure how to set up the digest feature of majordomo 1.92
>to send digests out.  Currently, it is digesting incoming mail,
>but that's all it's doing.

   [from John Rouillard]

  echo mkdigest [digest-name] [digest-password] | mail majordomo@...

   This will force a digest to be created. Or you can set the max size in
   the digest list config file down low, and force automatic generation.
   There are some patches for 1.92 that will allow other ways of
   specifying automatic digest sending. The patch is in the contrib
   directory.

  WHY DO I GET DUPLICATE MAIL SENT TO THE LIST?
  
   I've you're running MMDF, read on: [From Gunther Anderson]
   Well, I can tell you what happened to me recently. We use MMDF here,
   which certainly colors the picture a little. What was happening here
   was that MMDF was verifying the validity of the whole mailing list
   before returning from the Submit call. The thing calling the Submit
   would time out and close, but the Submit itself would still be running
   somewhere. The calling routine would believe that the message had
   failed in its delivery, but the Submit would eventually succeed. The
   calling process would try again some time later. This, of course, is
   bad. The larger the list got, the more addresses there were to verify
   (verification was really just a DNS search on the target machine
   name), the more likely, under load, that the message would duplicate.
   We finally got so large, with so many international addresses (which
   seem to timeout on DNS queries much more ofen than US addresses) that
   we were always duplicating. Infinitely (until I killed the original
   submitter).
   
   The solution for us was MMDF-specific. We used a different channel for
   submission and delivery, one which deliberately doesn't verify the
   addresses before accepting a job. We used the list-processor channel,
   and only had to check that the listname-request name was set properly,
   because list-processor insists on making listname-request the envelope
   "From " header name.
   
   If you're running Sendmail, this is more rare. There have been
   unconfirmed reports that on some systems having the queue process
   interval set too short can cause problems, even though sendmail is
   supposed to handle this. Workarounds are to increase your queue
   process interval (-q flag), or decrease the interval between queue
   checkpoints (OC flag in sendmail.cf).
   
   There have been many reports from Linux users complaining about
   duplicate mail. The problem seems to be that the locking method that
   sendmail uses doesn't work with Linux. There apparently is a
   workaround provided with sendmail. [ someone send me more details!! ]
   [ Please let me know if you have any more information --ed ] 
   
  HOW DO I GATE MY LIST TO AND/OR FROM A NEWSGROUP?
  
   The easiest method is to use a program called newsgate. Send mail to
   [email-masked] (Rich Salz) for a copy. Unless he tells you
   otherwise, do not redistribute what he sends you. Installation
   instructions are straightforward, it provides sample entires for your
   newsfeeds/sys file and aliases entries. The newsgate package includes
   news2mail and mail2news.